Thursday, August 14, 2014

DIY Fabric Sunglasses Case



The other day when cleaning out my bathroom I found an old glasses case. The liner had become unattached and it wasn't being used. It isn't much of a change from glasses case to sunglasses case, but giving it a cute facelift (for almost nothing!) was reason enough for me to break out my glue gun. I also don't have a hard case sunglasses holder for my purse so this is also a functional craft!


To begin, you'll need:
~ decoupage glue
~ fabric (fat quarter at Walmart for 97 cents!)
~ old glasses case (check goodwill)
~ pencil
~ scissors
~ glue gun


I started by removing the liner from my case. Easy work since it was already coming off ;). 


Next, I cut out two rough squares of fabric larger than the size of my case. I used my case as a guide to mark notches that I cut out for the hinged part of the case. Your cuts don't have to be perfect, just make sure you have enough to wrap around the outside of your case and into the inner side to secure. 


Cover the outside of your case with decoupage glue (Mod Podge). I did one side at a time so the glue wouldn't become tacky. Cover the side with your fabric and smooth out any wrinkles. Make sure your cut out notch edges match up with the hinges on your case.


You should end up with something like this. At this point, I used my scissors to trim the excess material from the inside. 


Next, I glued down the edges of the fabric to the inside of the case to make sure they were thoroughly secured. 


Now I could reattach my liner. Simply use hot glue to secure it. 

Here is the finished product from all sides! I'm very pleased with how it turned out, especially since I only took about ten minutes to fix it up. 


Just pop your favorite sunnies in and throw them in your bag or car! This is a really quick and cheap DIY (or facelift) that still lets you be creative. You can find these cases at goodwill ALL THE TIME for cents. And the Walmart fabrics are endless with some really cute options. You could even use scrap fabric if you have some. The case kind of reminds me of the fabric cases you can buy at Vera Bradley! But for a huge fraction of the cost! Like my funky sunglasses up there? Check back next week for a tutorial on how to make your own, inspired by my favorite blogger!

No comments:

Post a Comment